Thursday, November 17, 2011

Okey Dokey Artichokey



I have been planting Green Globe Artichokes in the January/February timeframe from root divisions off and on over years.  My results have not always been stellar, and even though artichokes are perennial in zone 8, my plants don’t always come back.

This year I’m taking a different approach.  In October, I planted 4 inch transplants in both the vegetable garden and ornamental beds.  My reasoning for using the ornamental beds is to try for success in different soils and locations.


The Globe Artichoke (Cynara cardunculus) should be planted in a well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter. Use 2-3 inches of mulch to protect the crown and maintain even soil moisture.  The plants will go dormant in the summer and may disappear completely, but they’ll pop back up when temperatures cool off in the fall.


The Green Globe Artichoke produces edible, thistle-like flowers that can be harvested as early as April.  The plants are hardy to 20 degrees, but if temperatures dip below that, some protection may be needed.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had success with your artichoke. I planted one in the fall too but the freeze destroyed it. Maybe I should try again this year.

    ReplyDelete